Sunday, February 12, 2012


This has been the weekend from hell.

Owen fell off his bed Friday night and broke his elbow. After a trip to urgent care, an x-ray, a temporary cast, a drive to the ER with me cradling him in my lap in the backseat, a consult from an orthopedic surgeon, a blown IV line, a second temporary cast, and me holding my precious baby boy at 1:00 in the morning under the harsh bright lights of an ER exam room while he sobbed that he just wanted to go home - a decision was made to admit him and operate in the morning to insert pins to put his elbow back together.

I think he might be the bravest boy in the entire world.

I was up every 1/2 hour with him in his room that night, moving him from hospital bed to chair and back, just trying to find some place where he could get comfortable enough to sleep. I gave up on sleep for myself at 6 a.m. My cell phone had long since died, I had nothing with me but my empty purse and the clothes on my back, I didn't dare turn on the tv or leave him for a moment. So I just stared at my baby for the next few hours until my mom came to sit with me.

Did I mention Scott was out of town at his grandma's funeral?

I ran on pure adrenaline the next morning. I held it together until they wheeled him away from me to the OR. The anesthesiologist had given him a sedative so he was pretty loopy when he left my sight which I hope made it easier for him. I lost it. Thank God for my mom, she got me through the next hour while he was in surgery.

They put 3 pins in his elbow during the surgery, and then did a split cast on his arm to allow for swelling. Scott made it to the hospital a couple hours after the surgery, after driving 8 hours in the snow and wind after just driving 8 hours the day before, missing his grandma's funeral to be with his son. What a choice.

They let us leave at 6:00 that night. You could see the relief in Owen's face when he realized he was finally going to go home and no one was going to poke or stick him with anything anymore.

He and I slept in my bed and didn't get up this morning until 10 a.m. We were up for a couple hours, then I started feeling terrible. Ashley took my temperature just to be cute, and I realized I had a 102 degree fever.

I'm feeling better now. The fever broke after a few hours and some more sleep, so I'm not sure if I picked something up at the hospital, or if my body was just trying to deal with the lack of sleep and adrenaline and stress. I also can barely walk. I think I pulled various muscles carrying and lifting and moving Owen, so I'm kind of a wreck right now.

He is doing so much better. His pain is way better, and we are just doing motrin now for pain control. He's cuddled up in bed with me right now snoring holding the stuffed giraffe I bought him in the gift shop while trying to stay sane during his surgery. We go back to the orthopedist in a week to do the full cast once his swelling has gone down. Then he'll have the cast on for 4-6 weeks, and then they'll take out the pins. I find it so relieving that the pins are temporary. The thought of my perfect little baby boy having permanent metal in his body totally upset me, so I felt so much better when I found out they are temporary.

Ugh. There is just nothing worse than seeing your baby in pain. Nothing.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos



middle child said...

There is nothing worse than seeing your baby in pain. You were a good mom to be there every second with him. I know it's hard. You were probably run down and as a result, picked up a bug. Hope you and Owen are better now.

Amanda said...

Oh no! What a horrid thing to happen but at least you are all home making a recovery.

Sounds like a weekend you'd rather forget.

Hope your all feeling better.

Steph @ The Silly Pearl said...

Oh Megan! Your poor little guy and poor you. Wishing him a speedy recovery, and sending you huge hugs. Owen sure is brave, and so are you.

Salt in Suburbia said...

Oh, so sorry for you guys! Glad at least that there is no permanent damage. Get some rest and take care. Saying a prayer for you right now.

Emily said...

Oh Megan, I'm so sorry! Owen does sound like quite the trooper, and so do you. I'm glad everyone is on the mend.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

oooh, poor little guy (and poor you!)

Jen said...

Oh my Oh my! I am so sorry but I am glad things are alittle better now.


Ruth Anne said...

Babies and hospitals just never should have to go together, except on the day they are born.

Christian had eye surgery on both his eyes a few weeks ago, and I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am that it's over and was successful.

Poor, sweet Owen. :-( I hope you both get some rest and start to feel better soon!

Suze said...

OMG - Poor Baby and Poor Mommy! I am so glad you are all home and on the road to recovery...when I can't get my almost 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when he bangs his mouth on the table after sneezing, I feel helpless...I cannot imagine how you must have been feeling! And here I was all excited that we graduated to a big boy bed yesterday (that a certain almost 2 1/2 year old only wants to jump on).

Holly Ann said...

Oh Megan! I am so incredibly sorry! This post brought tears to my eyes...reminds me of when I had to be with Dawson in the hospital at only 8 days old. It was horrible. I wish you and Owen very speedy returns to health!!

Katherine said...

I've greeted many frightened little boys and their sleep-deprived parents outside of the operating room. It's an awful thing to go through.

I hope you both start feeling better.

Barbara Manatee said...

I totally fear our first broken bone/er visit for something big. Poor Owen and poor Mama! I saw your pics on FB about it but didn't realize your husband was gone while you juggled all this!

Hope you're feeling better and Owen is not in pain!

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Poor sweet baby boy...I didn't even know you COULD break an elbow!

That must have been a horrible night. I'm so glad you're in the recovery stage now. Sorry that Scott had to miss his grandmother's funeral just isn't fair.

Monica said...

Oh poor guy! How awful! I actually fell off the bed that same Friday night and broke my ankle. I was dusting a picture that hangs above the bed and fell. That's what I get for cleaning!

Here's to a speedy recovery!